Re: Inefficiency in recent pgtz patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Inefficiency in recent pgtz patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>I have just noticed that this patch:
>
>    * Implements a hash-table cache of loaded tables, so we
>don't have

>balloons the working store of every backend process by something over 5
>megabytes:
>
>Timezones: 5678768 total in 19 blocks; 3904 free (0 chunks);
>5674864 used
>
>The reason is that during postmaster start we load every
>single timezone
>definition in the zic database whilst searching for the one
>that matches
>the system timezone most closely.

Yikes. I checked memory consumption but apparantly only on win32, which
uses a different method for picking the timezone, and doesn't scan
everything. Definitly needs a fix.

> Because pg_tzset is designed to
>unconditionally put every loaded timezone into the hashtable,
>that means
>the postmaster ends up with copies of everything, and then all
>that junk
>is inherited via fork by every backend.
>
>I'm not sure about the actual cost of inheriting data that we
>(probably)
>don't ever change, but this seems like a bad idea in principle,
>considering that 99% of backends will likely have a use for only one
>timezone value.

I'd say there are lots of cases where the backend will need *a couple*
of timezones (both in "single connections" but especially int he case of
pooled connections). And the use will increase when we can support these
timezones in "AT TIME ZONE".

So I still think it's a good idea to have and use the hash table, but
definitly not to fill it with everything we know at backend startup
(because it definitly won't be common to need any larger percentage of
the number of timezones).

>Please fix it.  Possibly pg_tzset could take an extra argument
>indicating whether or not to cache the data.  Or maybe score_timezone
>shouldn't use pg_tzset.

Will look at that as soon as I can. I think making score_timezone not
use pg_tzset is the cleanest way.

Do you agree that using a hashtable for it in general is a good idea
assuming this sideeffect is removed, though?

/Magnus