Re: Install as program - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Install as program
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
> When PostgreSQL is installed as a program, the install does
> not ask for a user name or password.

Correct. This is because it doesn't do an initdb. You are required to do
this manually

> How does someone connect to the Database Server, without a
> user name or password, especially, if the database server has
> no accounts?

These are set when you run "initdb". I beleive if you don't specify
anything at all, you will get:
1) The same username as the windows username used to run initdb
2) No password
3) Trust authentication

> BTW: I did "start database" and the database server
>          was running.

If you did this without doing initdb, it means you had an old data
directory aronud. In which case the password will be whatever you
assigned that installation.

//Magnus