Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
> Oh, and as for uninstalls and silent installations, Inno
> Setup also provides that functionality automatically.  It can
> wrap the installation into a single EXE file, it can do disk
> spanning, custom install types, compressed data in the
> install file, creation of desktop/start menu shortcuts,
> registry entries, multilingual installs, etc. -- it's
> actually quite powerful, and it's free.

I'm sure it provides this - otherwise, it'd be unusable ;-) But how well
does it deal with other installatio programs that stuff files all over
the place? MSI contains a central database of your installed files
(assuming ppl use MSI, of course). InnoSetup might have that for it's
own installs, but it can't very well have it for others.. And the trend
is that everybody moves to MSI (InstallShield and Wise both go with MSI
now, which is by far the majority of the market)

> Another advantage: you can only run one MSI installer at a
> time, but Inno Setup does not have that limitation.  To embed
> a silent install of an MSI program into my installer, I
> couldn't very well use an MSI file (even if I really wanted
> to), could I?

AFAIK, you can. This is exactly how we do the language wrapper - one MSI
launching another.

//Magnus