Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2
Date
List pgsql-general
>rc5-2 msi will not install at all on a fat32 filesystem
>even without initialising the database.

Really? The code for checking the filesystem type is only executed if
you chose to initdb, so I really don't see this happening. Exactly what
message do you get?

>sorry but whole purpose of putting it on a windows box was to make db
>app for a 250,000 person client base.
>with some still using win95, some win 98, some winme.
>all of which do not have ntfs support.

This is a different thing. We don't support 9x for a *lot* of reasons.
The lack of NTFS is a very minor one. There are a *lot* of other things
that are just not inmplemented, or so badly implemented it's unusable,
in these systems.

Your only option in this case is the Cygwin version, where a huge amount
of work has gone into re-implementing these things in teh Cygwin
framework. AFAIK it works on 9x - as well as anything can ;-)

>since the app will not be world accessable, only through
>localhost, the
>lack of security isn't a major concern.

If you're even considering Win9x, security is clearly not a concern :-)

//Magnus