Re: BUG #1256: Account problems-start as a service option install Windows 2000/ XP - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #1256: Account problems-start as a service option install Windows 2000/ XP
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Operating system:   Windows 2000 SP3
>=20
> option install=20
> Windows 2000/ XP=20
>=20
> Details:=20
>=20
> Problems with installer (for Version 8.0 Beta 2 dev 3) when=20
> you check the 'Install as a service' checkbox.=20
>=20
> Installer cheerfully creates the postgres account and grants=20
> the 'Log on as a service' right, but does not add the account=20
> to 'Users' group and does not grant permission to 'Access=20
> this computer from the network' or 'Log on=20
> locally'.  These omissions cause three failure points during=20
> the install.=20=20=20

It should add it to the users group.
Question: Is this by any chance a Domain Controller?=20

> To fix this, go to Admin tools -- 'Local Security Policies'=20
> and grant the right to 'Access this computer from the=20
> network' to the postgres account.=20

"Users" normally have this, I think.

> Third problem will be with initdb, much later in the install.=20
>  Error message will be: "Failed to create process for initdb:=20
> 1385!".  Install will then roll back.=20
>=20
> To fix this, go to 'Local Security Polices' (again) and=20=20
> grant the right to 'Log on Locally' to the postgres account.=20

Again, I beleive "Users" normally have this.

> I listed all 3 error messages in series, to make for easy=20
> Google search.=20=20
> Machine here is configured 'paranoia' style -- deny all=20
> permissions to all=20
> unless needed.  This probably differs from a plain vanilla=20
> Windows setup.=20=20=20

Right. If you have changed the default permissions, you will of course
need to fix that. Can't expect the installer to know about them all. We
can help a bit, though :-)

> Installer should be changed to check/grant the two other=20
> needed permissions, and should also add postgres user to=20
> 'Users' group when creating the postgres account to run as a=20
> service.=20=20

As for the first two, yes, at least chceking for them is good. I'll add
that to a tracker.
As for "Users", this should be done by default. It must be something
environment-specific.

//Magnus