Re: ANALYZE locks pg_listener in EXCLUSIVE for long time? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ANALYZE locks pg_listener in EXCLUSIVE for long time?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not sure how would one "send to the other backends."
> Maybe write another file on disk, one for each remote
> backend?  Surely this can be done somehow.  I've heard that
> on linux-2.6 they are implementing "POSIX message queues"
> (not sure what those are anyway); maybe we can do that on
> platforms that support it, for performance.

Dunno if this is relevant, but if you want to go with message queues,
there is also SystemV message queues. Since postgresql already uses sysv
semaphores and shared memory, this would perhaps be portable to more
systems that pg supports today (though you'd still need some kind of
abstraction layer, since e.g. win32 does not have it).
(man msgsnd, msgrcv, msgctl, msgget

//Magnus