Data directory with trailing [back]slash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Data directory with trailing [back]slash
Date
Re: Data directory with trailing [back]slash  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi!

It's not possible to start the postmaster on win32 with:
postmaster -D d:\pgdata\
or
postmaster -D d:/pgdata/

but it does work with
postmaster -D d:\pgdata
or
postmaster -D d:/pgdata/

This is because of the stat() call in postmaster.c in checkDataDir() -
stat() clearly does not work with trainling slash/backslash. I changed
the code to:

    strcpy(path, checkdir);
#ifdef WIN32
    if (path[strlen(path)-1] == '\\' || path[strlen(path)-1] == '/')
        path[strlen(path)-1] = 0;
#endif
    if (stat(path, &stat_buf) == -1)
    {
        if (errno == ENOENT)
            ereport(FATAL,
                    (errcode_for_file_access(),
                     errmsg("data directory \"%s\"
does not exist",
                            path)));
        else
            ereport(FATAL,
                    (errcode_for_file_access(),
             errmsg("could not read permissions of directory
\"%s\": %m",
                    path)));
    }

It seems to work on my system. I'm not sure if this is a good place to
do it, though, or if it should be changed at a different place. (with
this fix it will use duplicate path separators elsewhere, but from what
I can see this appears to work just fine).

If this seems like a good idea, please apply from code above. If not,
please direct me to a better plavce to work :-)

This is all required for the win32 installer, because Windows Installer
automatically adds trailing backslashes to all paths.

//Magnus