Re: Fixed directory locations in installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Common practice, for one thing. Windows programs are typically
>> relocatable, and Windows admins regard programs that rely on
>> hardcoded paths very poorly indeed.
>
>OK, but how can that work in general?  How do other programs handle
>this?  I don't think we should design a solution that goes
>like "ok, if
>we move that file from share to lib then we could get away with it for
>now".  That will only postpone the potential problems.  There needs to
>be a definite and fixed place where programs can go looking to
>find the
>files they need.  Maybe it should be stored in that registry thing?

To make it work more cross-platform, replace "that registry thing" with
"postgresql.conf". It's basically the same thing, except the registry
has a hierarchy model.

And yes, that's how most other programs handle it.

//Magnus