Views + Rules + Triggers + 7.3.2 = Upgrade Problems (was: Re: REWRITE_INVOKE_MAX and "query may contain cycles" ) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric B.Ridge
List pgsql-general
On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 11:11  AM, Eric B.Ridge wrote:
> Thanks for this information.  Y'all rock.  These two things are enough
> to convince me to upgrade to 7.3 immediately.

So after upgrading from 7.2.3 to 7.3.2, I've got some interesting
problems.

The backend simply saysr:
    FATAL:  SPI: improper call to spi_dest_setup

And psql says basically the same thing:
    FATAL:  SPI: improper call to spi_dest_setup
            before or while processing the request.
    The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

And the jdbc drivers just go nuts.  But since I can duplicate this in
psql, I'm sure it's not a JDBC specific issue.

Rather than try to explain what is happening, please checkout the
attached testcase.   However, I believe I've narrowed it down to (at
least) an after-insert trigger (on a table w/ a view/rule facade) that
then tries to do an insert into a different (and mostly unrelated) view.

The expected results (as are produced by 7.2.3 are attached) as well.

If more information is necessary, please let me know.

thanks in advance!

eric

Attachment