Re: XML in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From msmouse@kittymail.com (Chuck Roast)
Subject Re: XML in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
borgempath@Phreaker.net (Joel Rodrigues) wrote in message news:<0C9D3330-4A14-11D7-A8D5-0005024EF27F@Phreaker.net>...
> Hi,
>
> Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the
> issue of storing and working with XML in PostgreSQL. Or maybe
> this is the wrong list to look for that ?
>
> The README in Contrib/XML in PostgreSQL 7.2.2 by John Gray is
> dated 16 August 2001, and the identically dated TODO file lists
> some very important things. Has there been any update of this or
> related work for PostgreSQL ?
>
> My interest is in working with 'document-centric' XML. Would
> using an external XML module, such as Python's PyXML allow for
> sufficiently quick performance, or at least performance that
> would be comparable to that of using a native PostgreSQL module ?
>
> Any and all suggestions, opinions welcome
>
> Cheers,
> Joel

You can always do what I did. I created functions to handle specific
tasks, such as retrieving product information and assembled the XML
via the function off the fields that I was interested in. When the
information was compiled, ptewwwy, I had the function spit the XML out
and pass it back to the caller then told ASP to disassemble the XML
string via XSLT and there you have it.

Yes it might be kludgey, but it beats waiting. And since XML is XML as
black shoe</description></product><product>Box<description>it's a

You're okay.

HTH