Re: "Out of memory" errors.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lim Berger
Subject Re: "Out of memory" errors..
Date
List pgsql-general
> If this is only a PostgreSQL database server, don't limit the postgres user.
> Don't tweak these limits unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Unfortunately, it is not. It has other applications. Including Apache
and so on. I tried not setting the ulimits at all, but it seems to be
required for the system (by other requirements). So I would like to
know optimal mappings between ulimits and postgres.

> PS: "maintenance_work_mem" is completely unrelated to "max user processes"
> or "open files", it's related to the allowed memory size.

Sorry, but this was suggested in this thread earlier. So how should I
make sure that the vacuum analyze on slightly large tables is allowed
without running out of memory? Would "shared_buffer" in conf be
relevant, but I doubt it.