Re: Postgresql INSERT speed (how to improve performance)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lim Berger
Subject Re: Postgresql INSERT speed (how to improve performance)?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/14/07, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Lim Berger <straightfwd007@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > INSERTing into MySQL takes 0.0001 seconds per insert query.
> > INSERTing into PgSQL takes 0.871 seconds per (much smaller) insert query.
> >
> > What can I do to improve this performance? What could be going wrong
> > to elicit such poor insertion performance from Postgresql?
> MySQL might not be writing the data straight out
> to disk ... just a guess.

The MYSQL table is MYISAM, yes, so no transaction support. I would
like PgSQL to do the same. These are not a batch of queries so I
cannot bundle them inside a transaction. These are individual
submissions from the web.

To make PG behave in the above manner, I have the following in my conf:

commit_delay = 0
fsync = on
wal_buffers=64
checkpoint_segments=64
checkpoint_timeout=900

Am I missing something? (I may well be). Would explicitly issuing a
"COMMIT" command help at all? Should I do the following:

BEGIN TRANSACTION;
INSERT INTO...;
COMMIT;

Would this be faster?