Re: "Out of memory" errors.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lim Berger
Subject Re: "Out of memory" errors..
Date
List pgsql-general
> "Lim Berger" <straightfwd007@gmail.com> writes:
> > ERROR:  out of memory
> > DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 67108860.
>
> Apparently, this number:
>
> > maintenance_work_mem = 64MB
>
> is more than your system can actually support.  Which is a bit odd for
> any modern-day machine.  I suspect the postmaster is being started with
> an unduly small ulimit.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom. Where can I check the "ulimit"? Is it in the config?

I did a "ulimit -a"  (found the command through Google, on an archive
posting by in fact you! -- http://snipr.com/pg_ulimit ) and got the
following output:

~ > ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 1000000
pending signals                 (-i) 1024
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 4096
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 14335

Any idea how to configure this? That is how that thread on an archived
discussion ends too -- the poster did not seem to get any response to
his question about how to tweak this.

Many thanks!