Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lim Berger
Subject Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/13/07, John Coulthard <bahhab@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The part of the php code for the connection is
>

> $dbconn=pg_connect( "dbname=lumbribase host=localhost port=5432
> user=postgres password=$PG_PASS" );
> if ( ! $dbconn ) {
>     echo "Error connecting to the database !<br> " ;
>     printf("%s", pg_errormessage( $dbconn ) );
>     exit(); }
>
> This code works on zeldia
> http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
> but not on xyala http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/Lumbribase/search_id.php
>
> So it's something to do with the way xyala is set up.  I'm sure I'm missing
> something obvious but what..?
>
> It's not  a firewall issue because it persists when the iptabes are off.
>
> What does "could not connect to server: Permission denied" mean?  Have I
> done some something as root or me that I should have done as
> user postgres?

Hi John,

Had the same issue. Try the following steps:

1. PGHBA.CONF

This is an important file. Mine (on Linux CentOS 4) is located at
"/var/lib/pgsql/data/pghba.conf". Make sure it looks like the
following.

local   all         all                                              md5
host    all         all         127.0.0.1          255.255.255.255   md5

2. POSTGRESQL.CONF

listen_addresses = 'localhost,*'
#port = 5432
....other settings....

3. PHP CODE

link   = pg_connect("host=localhost dbname=MYDB user=MYUSER password=MYPASS");

--
That is all you need. Don't specify anything else in the connection
string. Let me know how it goes.

LB