Re: Range types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: Range types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Dec 15, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> If you think I'm proposing that we drop inclusivity/exclusivity before
> telling the application, that's not what I'm proposing at all. I'm
> proposing that, at least in some circumstances, it's important to be
> able to display the same value in different formats -- e.g. [1, 3) or
> [1, 2], depending on what the application expects. Similar to a timezone
> adjustment.

I think it would help the discussion if you could provide some real examples. I suspect you're thinking of things like
schedulingapps, where it's important to be able to do things like "what's the next available time slot?". There are
probablyways to make that kind of thing easier without resorting to discrete time.

> [1] "Temporal Data and the Relational Model" by C.J. Date, et al., uses
> discrete time throughout the entire book, aside from a brief discussion
> at the beginning.

I find myself wondering if they were influenced by the technology available at the time...
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net