Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Lester
Subject Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files
Date
Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> How many Postgres processes are running?

146 right now. Most of them are idle at any given point in time.

> Does this number increase with
> the memory usage.

No. There are 140 - 150 postgres processes running on average, but the
memory usage keeps going up and up.

> Simple fact of the matter is that you have apparently found a memory
> leak.  How Mac OS X deals with swapping is (more or less) unimportant.

Wow, I sure hope not. I was really hoping to take care of the problem.

> I'm wondering, however, if you have a connection leak instead.  i.e.
> is it possible that your client application is opening a whole bunch
> of connections and never closing them?

No. The clients open only one connection (and hang onto it for dear
life  :-).

> You did show that you have
> a max # of connection of 200.  That's pretty high, unless you've got
> a lot of RAM in that machine.

I have 512 MB of RAM in the machine. The server is performing
wonderfully. It's just that the swap files keep sprouting like weeds.

> A more accurate description of the problem would be:
> How many connections are actually open?

146 right now. That's about average.

> How much memory is actually in use by Postgres processes?  (The amount
> of
> swap in use is unimportant to the Postgres folks, it's an OS thing)

This is where I could use some pointers. The following line is a top
entry for a single postgres process. Hope that helps.

PID COMMAND      %CPU   TIME   #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT  RSHRD  RSIZE
VSIZE
14235 postgres     0.0%  0:01.36   1     9    33   880K  16.9M  9.62M
60.0M