Re: Bug in pg_dump/restore -o - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug in pg_dump/restore -o
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Philip Warner wrote:
>> Here's a patch that seems to do the trick. It may seem large, but it is
>> primarily a reorganization of existing code in pg_backup_db.c to make the
>> code a little clearer and to facilitate the swapping around of some loops.

> I hate to say it but I think this is too risky for 7.2.

It does seem a rather large diff ... however, if I understand it right,
what Philip has done here is to hack pg_restore so that it will do the
right thing with an unmodified 7.1 dump file.  This is much superior to
hacking pg_dump to change the emitted dump data.  Weren't you telling me
that we might need a solution for someone who had already done pg_dump
-o -Ft and then wiped their 7.1 database?

I think we should scrutinize this as carefully as we can, but apply it
if at all possible.