Re: EXISTS vs IN vs OUTER JOINS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: EXISTS vs IN vs OUTER JOINS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> I wonder if "[NOT] IN (subselect)" could be improved with a hash table in
> similar fashion to the hash aggregate solution Tom recently implemented?

It's being worked on ;-)

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg01055.php

Assuming I get this done, the conventional wisdom that "EXISTS
outperforms IN" will be stood on its head --- unless we add planner code
to try to reverse-engineer an IN from an EXISTS, which is something I'm
not really eager to expend code and cycles on.

            regards, tom lane