Re: 7.0RC2 compile error ! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.0RC2 compile error !
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE> writes:

>> Fail completely?

> I'm not going to try to prove this now by uninstalling all my compilers
> but this is a known deficiency in autoconf.

Well, what it appears to be is autoconf espousing the same "fail hard"
philosophy that you were just claiming was a good thing ;-).  If you ask
it for AC_PROG_CXX and it can't find any working C++ compiler, it gives
up.  I have just checked the behavior with no C++ compiler nor gcc in
the PATH, and our configure script will complete if you specify
--without-CXX, but not otherwise.

Definitely seems like a good idea to change to a default of --without-CXX
for 7.1.  Is there anyone out there who wants to argue against it?