Re: pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive
Date
List pgsql-general
"MG" <pgsql-general@carladata.de> writes:
> Now we got the following error:
> pg_dump: [tar archiver] write error appending to tar archive (wrote =
> 28186, attempted 32767)
> There is enough space on the hard disk.

How big is the dump file?  I seem to recall that tar format has a limit
on the size of individual members (tables), and maybe an overall size
limit as well.  Another issue is that I think the members are first
built as temp files in /tmp, so the member size is constrained by how
much space you have on that filesystem.

If that's the story, switching to the "custom" format is the answer.

            regards, tom lane