ElasticSearch Beats - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Güttler
Subject ElasticSearch Beats
Date
List pgsql-general
> You may decide not to use Elasticsearch but take a look at other components of Elastic Stack like logstash and beats.
> They can be helpful even when you use Postgres as the end point. Otherwise (IMHO), you would spend a lot of time
writing
> scripts and jobs to capture and stream logs. If I were you, I would not want to do that.

I wanted to know what Beats is. I found this:

{{{
  Beats is the platform for building lightweight, open source data shippers for many types of data you want to enrich
  with Logstash, search and analyze in Elasticsearch, and visualize in Kibana.
}}}

Oh what fun. How does "enrich data" work? Imagine you have N bytes. There
are several ways to create N+M bytes from N bytes. I call this bloating,
not enriching. You can analyze data, compress it, visualize it.... But AFAIK
you can't enrich data.

Reading the next pages of the advertisement:
{{{
  enriched and combined with other data sources using Logstash
}}}

OK, this way data can be enriched by using other data sources.

Still I see no use case for beats.

Do you use it? How does it help you?

I guess I take the boring route. I never used it, but it looks solid:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliable_Event_Logging_Protocol

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--