Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17/05/2020 08:12, Ron wrote:
>>> Tape FTW!!
>> Or WTF Tape??   :)
>
> Tape is durable, long-lasting, high-density, under your control, can
> be taken off-site (don't underestimate the bandwidth of a station
> wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway!) and -- with the proper
> software -- is multi-threaded.

Don't you mean multi-spooled??? :-)

Fascinating problem.  If the dump & load programs are designed to take a
parameter for N drives for effective parallel operation, and N > 2, then
things will run a lot faster.

I can think of several ways the the data can be dumped in parallel, with
various trade-offs.  Would love to know how it's implemented in practice.

Cheers,
Gavn