Re: I need to ecrypt one column to an output file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralph Smith
Subject Re: I need to ecrypt one column to an output file
Date
List pgsql-general
> Ralph Smith wrote:
>
>> I need to do a simple query and output to a file.
>> No problem.
>> But how do I encrypt one column's output?
>> There are lots of developer related links here, and info to "use
>> the /contrib pgcrypto", but I'm not a PG developer and I failed to
>> find any info on HOW TO USE that library function...
> =============================
> On Apr 15, 2008, at 11:31 PM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Have you installed the pgcrypto module?
> Have you read the guide to pgcrypto in the manual?
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/pgcrypto.html
>
> --
>  Richard Huxton
>  Archonet Ltd
==============================
I'm still too dense to get it.  I'm sorry.

*  Where would I look to see if it is installed?
(I'm not the SA who did the install, nor do I have those privs.)

*  If not, must he go the source install route, (we're using Ubuntu),
or via synaptic package installer (for PG v8.2)?

If it is there, I'm still too much a newbie to find the text to tell
me how to use it.
I don't want to be totally hand held, but I need to find the HOW-TO
guide(s).

*  What I want to do (right now) is simply encode usernames onto a
hard copy.
*  What I will want to do in the future is to encode usernames INTO
the DB.

Thanks again,

Ralph Smith