Re: [HACKERS] Provide list of subscriptions and publications inpsql's completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Provide list of subscriptions and publications inpsql's completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 19/02/17 12:03, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com <mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Michael Paquier
>     <michael.paquier@gmail.com <mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > I have been poking at it, and yeah... I missed the fact that
>     > pg_subcription is not a view. I thought that check_conninfo was being
>     > called in this context only..
>
>     Still, storing plain passwords in system catalogs is a practice that
>     should be discouraged as base backup data can go over a network as
>     well... At least adding a note or a warning in the documentation would
>     be nice about the fact that any kind of security-sensitive data should
>     be avoided here.
>

> Isn't that moving the goalposts quite a bit? We already allow passwords
> in CREATE USER MAPPING without any warnings against it (in fact, we
> suggest that's what you should do), which is a similar situation. Same
> goes for dblink.
>
> If password auth is used, we have to store the password in plaintext
> equivalent somewhere. Meaning it's by definition going to be exposed to
> superusers and replication downstreams. Or are you suggesting a scheme
> whereby you have to enter all your subscription passwords in a prompt of
> some kind when starting the postmaster, to avoid it?

The subscriptions will happily use .pgpass for example so it's not like
users are forced to put password to catalog (well barring some DBaaS
solutions). But I guess it would not hurt to give extra notice in docs
about dangers of the various catalogs storing passwords.

Services