Re: coalesce view error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: coalesce view error
Date
List pgsql-general
mikeo <mikeo@spectrumtelecorp.com> writes:
>   thanks for the patch.  one of my coworkers came up with a working
>   solution:

>> Hi Mike, try adding ::text before the AS...

Hmm, offhand I do not see why that would work.  The two fields you're
coalescing are both type text, no?  In that case the cast ought to be
dropped out of the expression as redundant.

If the fields are varchar or bpchar, then casting to text would work
(at least in 7.0.*) because the parser would include an explicit
RelabelType node in the stored expression...

            regards, tom lane