Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> My understanding is that the backend which sets this attribute
> must first acquire a lock on the heap relation of sufficient
> strength so as to ensure that there are no concurrent UPDATErs,
> update the pg_class row and then release the lock on the relation.

In what context are you proposing to do that, and won't this
high-strength lock in itself lead to deadlocks?

The whole thing sounds exceedingly ugly anyway --- for example
what happens if the backend doing the CREATE INDEX fails and
is therefore unable to clear the flag again?