Re: Please advise features in 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Please advise features in 7.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"john huttley" <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
>> We've had parameterized triggers for years.  Maybe you attach some
>> meaning to that term beyond what I do?

> I'm referring to the manual that says functions used for triggers must
> have no parameters and return a type Opaque.

The function has to be declared that way, but you can actually pass a
set of string parameters to it from the CREATE TRIGGER command.  The
strings show up in some special variable or other inside the function.
(No, I don't know why it was done in that ugly way...)  See the manual's
discussion of trigger programming.