Re: Testing of MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Testing of MVCC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe the right answer is just to hack up Pg.pm or DBD::Pg to provide
>> the needed asynchronous-command-submission facility, and go forward
>> from there using the Perl Test framework.

> How will we make sure it's consistent? People have widely varying
> versions of DBD::Pg and DBI installed, not to mention the bewildering
> array of Test::Foo modules out there

Yeah, that would be an issue.  But can't a Perl script require
"version >= m.n" for each module it uses?

I had actually been thinking to myself that Pg.pm might be a better base
because it's more self-contained.

Another line of thought is to write a fresh implementation of the wire
protocol all in Perl, so as not to depend on DBI or much of anything
except Perl's TCP support (which I hope is reasonably well standardized
;-)).  If you wanted to do any testing at the protocol level ---
handling of bad messages, say --- you'd pretty much need this anyway
because no driver is going to let you get at things at such a low level.
But it'd raise the cost of getting started quite a bit.