Re: Privilege boundary between sysadmin and database superuser [Was: Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Privilege boundary between sysadmin and database superuser [Was: Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension]
Date
In response to Privilege boundary between sysadmin and database superuser [Was: Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension]  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
Responses Re: Privilege boundary between sysadmin and database superuser [Was: Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension]  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> On Apr 20, 2021, at 5:54 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 1:31 AM Mark Dilger
>> <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> I think you are conflating the concept of an operating system adminstrator with the concept of the database
superuser/owner.

>> You should conflate those things, because there's no meaningful
>> privilege boundary between them:

> I understand why you say so, but I think the situation is more nuanced than that.

Maybe I too am confused, but I understand "operating system administrator"
to mean "somebody who has root, or some elevated OS privilege level, on
the box running Postgres".  That is 100% distinct from the operating
system user that runs Postgres, which should generally be a bog-standard
OS user.  (In fact, we try to prevent you from running Postgres as root.)

What there is not a meaningful privilege boundary between is that standard
OS user and a within-the-database superuser.  Since we allow superusers to
trigger file reads and writes, and indeed execute programs, from within
the DB, a superuser can surely reach anything the OS user can do.

The rest of your analysis seems a bit off-point to me, which is what
makes me think that one of us is confused.  If Alice is storing her
data in a Postgres database, she had better trust both the Postgres
superuser and the box's administrators ... otherwise, she should go
get her own box and her own Postgres installation.