PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Rob Richardson
Subject PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name
Date
List pgadmin-support
writeinto a PostgreSQL table named “Log”.  It was not working, and I was not getting any error messages anyplace.  Not
myapplication, not PostgreSQL log files.  I stripped the log4net configuration file to a bare minimum, where it merely
writesthe same message every time, using this query:<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">INSERT INTO Log
(message)VALUES (‘This is a log message’);<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">I could not get it to work.<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">Finally, in desperation, I opened an SQL window in PGAdmin, and pasted the query
intoit.  It didn’t work!  It claimed there is no relation named Log.  I tried this:<p class="MsoNormal">INSERT INTO log
(message)VALUES ('This is a log message');<p class="MsoNormal">It didn’t work either.<p class="MsoNormal">I tried
this:<pclass="MsoNormal">INSERT INTO “Log” (message) VALUES (‘This is a log message’);<p class="MsoNormal">That
worked!<pclass="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">When I was staring at the table definition PGAdmin showed me, I
noticedthat the SQL to create the table began with:<p class="MsoNormal">CREATE TABLE “Log”<p class="MsoNormal">Note the
doublequotes around the word Log.  I came to the conclusion that the double quotes are actually being included in the
tablename.  <p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">I dropped the table and recreated it manually.  Now, when I look
atthe create table script, I see that it begins with:<p class="MsoNormal">CREATE TABLE Log<p class="MsoNormal">And when
Irun the application that tries to write log messages into that table, it works!<p class="MsoNormal"> <p
class="MsoNormal">Wecannot have double quotes embedded in object names for our applications.  It would be a huge change
inthe way many pieces of our products are configured.  Is there a way to change this behavior, or do we have to revert
toan older version of PostgreSQL?<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Thank you very much!<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">RobR</div>