Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining
Date
Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 05/04/2017 01:52 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 10:33 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I'm not sure what your point is.  We know that for some cases the
>> optimization barrier semantics are useful, which is why the proposal is
>> to add a keyword to install one explicitely:
>>
>>          with materialized r as
>>          (
>>             select json_populate_record(null::mytype, myjson) as x
>>             from mytable
>>          )
>>          select (x).*
>>          from r;
>>
>> this would preserve the current semantics.
> I haven't been able to follow this incredibly long thread, so please
> excuse me if way off base, but are we talking about that a CTE would be
> silently be rewritten as an inline expression potentially unless it is
> decorated with some new syntax?
>
> I would find that very disconcerting myself. For example, would this CTE
> potentially get rewritten with multiple evaluation as follows?
>
> DROP SEQUENCE IF EXISTS foo_seq;
> CREATE SEQUENCE foo_seq;
>
> WITH a(f1) AS (SELECT nextval('foo_seq'))
> SELECT a.f1, a.f1 FROM a;
>  f1 | ?column?
> ----+----------
>   1 |        1
> (1 row)
>
> ALTER SEQUENCE foo_seq RESTART;
> SELECT nextval('foo_seq'), nextval('foo_seq');
>  nextval | ?column?
>        1 |        2
> (1 row)

I think that would be a change in semantics, which we should definitely
not be getting. Avoiding a change in semantics might be an interesting
exercise, but we have lots of clever coders ...

cheers

andrew