Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> As far as I know, there is no simple way to test whether libperl.a is
> compiled as position independent code or not.  But it would be fairly
> easy to test whether you can build a shared library using libperl.a,
> by writing a little test case which does just that.  The test could be
> run at run time or at configure time.

Hmm.  Or perhaps we could just go ahead and try to build libperl.so,
but not abort the make if it fails.  The reason for the shlib test
originally was that we didn't want the whole build of Postgres to blow
up if we couldn't link libperl.so.  Seems like you end up with no
libperl.so either way, so perhaps we could hack the Makefile to not
treat link failure as fatal.  The trick is that it's a makefile
generated by MakeMaker and not entirely under our control...

            regards, tom lane