Re: Problem with self-join updates... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem with self-join updates...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Benoit Menendez <benoitm@pacbell.net> writes:
>   I have the following self-join update:

>               update TABLE set PARENT_ID=parent.PARENT_ID
>               from TABLE, TABLE parent
>               where TABLE.PARENT_ID=parent.ID
>               and parent.ID in (1,2,3,4)

>       Table name "table" specified more than once

Wasn't this answered already?  You should not have the "from TABLE"
in there.  Essentially, there's already an implicit FROM entry for
the target table, you don't need another.  "from TABLE parent"
is sufficient here.
        regards, tom lane