Re: ML-based indexing ("The Case for Learned Index Structures", a paper from Google) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ML-based indexing ("The Case for Learned Index Structures", a paper from Google)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> writes:
> I'd give learned indexes at least a change to provide a
> proof-of-concept. And I want to learn more about the requirements to
> be accepted as a new index (before undergoing month's of code
> sprints).

There's enough support these days that you can build a new index
type as an extension, without touching the core code at all.
I'd advise proceeding that way, at least until you have a pretty
convincing prototype.