Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I thought the "S" suggestion was much better than this.

> My problem is that it uses a letter as a modifier, while all other
> letters are object specifications.  '+' is a modifier.  We need another
> modifier that isn't a letter.  No one knew \dtS worked because 'S'
> doesn't look like a modifier.

I don't buy that argument in the least.  I think the reason people
didn't know about "S" was they didn't RTFM (or possibly that the FM
isn't sufficiently clear).  Changing to a different character won't make
any difference at all, only improving the docs will make a difference.

But I could live with using "-" to suppress system objects.  That isn't
a character we're likely to want to use as a command metacharacter
someday.