Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>I thought the "S" suggestion was much better than this.
>>>

>>My problem is that it uses a letter as a modifier, while all other
>>letters are object specifications.  '+' is a modifier.  We need another
>>modifier that isn't a letter.  No one knew \dtS worked because 'S'
>>doesn't look like a modifier.
>>

>I don't buy that argument in the least.  I think the reason people
>didn't know about "S" was they didn't RTFM (or possibly that the FM
>isn't sufficiently clear).  Changing to a different character won't make
>any difference at all, only improving the docs will make a difference.
>
>But I could live with using "-" to suppress system objects.  That isn't
>a character we're likely to want to use as a command metacharacter
>someday.

ISTM one problem is we are inconsistent about it - \d  and \dt don't
show system objects, but \df shows system functions. Reading TFM is a
good thing, but so is consistency.

'-' isn't a very nice choice, because \df-+ would be really confusing.
If you don't like '&', then '@' and '!' seem to be at least as free as
'-' ;-)

cheers

andrew