Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I talked to Greg via chat and it looks like '&' is the best choice for
> > adding system object display:
>
> >     \d& shows system stuff
>
> Yech, that's awful.  It looks ugly and it commandeers a punctuation
> symbol that we might wish to use for something else someday.
>
> I thought the "S" suggestion was much better than this.

My problem is that it uses a letter as a modifier, while all other
letters are object specifications.  '+' is a modifier.  We need another
modifier that isn't a letter.  No one knew \dtS worked because 'S'
doesn't look like a modifier.

> Personally I am not unhappy with the existing behavior, because (unlike
> Greg I guess) I use \df and \do to look at system definitions all the
> time.  However I'm willing to accept \dfS on the grounds of symmetry
> with the behavior for tables.  I don't really want to put up with a less
> convenient behavior *and* a gratuitously different syntax.

I am also happy with the existing behavior.  Another idea is to add a
modifier that supresses system functions, etc.

I think adding 'S' to \df confuses more than it helps.

Pennsylvania19073