Re: Problem with a rule on upgrade to v7.1.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem with a rule on upgrade to v7.1.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jon Lapham <lapham@extracta.com.br> writes:
> PS: (Talking *way* above my head now) Would be possible to have
> EXPLAIN flag this type of problem?  Remember, the EXPLAIN output for
> 7.1RC1 and 7.1.1 were identical.

Yeah, because EXPLAIN doesn't show the individual qual clauses attached
to each plan node.  EXPLAIN VERBOSE does ... but it's, um, too verbose
for most people.

I've speculated to myself about designing some intermediate level of
EXPLAIN display that would show things like qual clauses and indexscan
conditions in a readable fashion (unlike EXPLAIN VERBOSE).  It could use
the ruleutils.c code to produce the output, so there's not that much
coding involved, just some tasteful selection of exactly what details to
show and how to format the output.  But I haven't gotten around to
actually doing anything ...