pg_dumpall and pg_dumps - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From s.chava@wcom.com (Srinivasa Rao Chava)
Subject pg_dumpall and pg_dumps
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hai,
Pg_dumpall is giving hard time in restoring the database.I opened the
dump and checked it . There are lot of problem in connectin and
reconnecting  and plpgsql language call handler. Finally I  have
decided to use pg_dump. It has also got the following bugs in it.
It is not setting the sequence values correctly. I took backup using
pg_dump and
restored it with psql. The sequence value in the database when I
took pg_dump is 11. BUt when I restored it, it is setting to
intial value i.e. one instead of current value of the sequence. I
opened the dump file and checked it. It is setting as follows.

SELECT setval ('"mysequence"', 1, 't'); Notonly that , there is
one more error. At the time of setting the sequence value, it has
to reconnect as the sequence owner.  but it is not doing so. It
is keeping the previous owner connection and giving another error
that
psql:mytest.out:3069: ERROR:  mysequence.setval: you don't have
permissions to set sequence mysequence. That means it is even
unable to set the wrong value i.e the SELECT setval
('"mysequence"', 1, 't');

I took the dump in postgresql7.1.3 and restored in
postgresql7.2.0. I have built the postgresql7.2.0 from CVS
repository which takes nightly snapshot.

Thanks
chava