Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 06:05:19PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> That looks good to me. Does anyone have a different opinion? If not,
> I'll go ahead and commit (but not backport) this change.

What is the rationale not to backpatch this? The error message changes,
but we do not translate configure output, so is this a problem/project
policy to never change configure output in the back-branches?

If the change is too invasive, would something like the initial patch I
suggested (i.e., in the absense of pkg-config, add a more targetted
error message) be acceptable for the back-branches?

Michael