Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/14/2017 08:38 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Yes, Adrian -
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/14/2017 07:23 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
>

>         in _uids array I have all user ids of player.
>
>         I want to merge his or her data, including reviews, to a single
>         user id:
>         out_uid.
>
>         So I make a copy of related words_reviews records (where this
>         user has
>

>     Alright I see that you are setting out_uid above the INSERT.
>     So you are INSERTing rows and if they CONFLICT you leave them alone
>     and have the DELETE remove them, correct?
>

> that is correct and my question is:
>
> copying records for later INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING seems
> ineffective to me.
>
> I would prefer to just use UPDATE (for changing "uid" or "author"
> columns to out_uid value) - but how to handle the conflicts with UPDATE?

The more I think about it the more I think you are doing the same thing
as INSERT ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE, where if there is a PK conflict you
just want to update the values with data from  excluded. There is
inverse logic in the function that I have not wrapped my head around
yet, so this is more a hunch then anything else.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com