Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres
Date
Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/16/16 12:53 PM, Joy Arulraj wrote:
>     > The whole thing would make a lot more sense given a credible design
>     > for error handling that keeps both languages happy.
>
>     Well, getting so that we can at least compile in both systems would
>     certainly increase the chances of somebody being willing to work on
>     such a design.  And if nobody ever does, then at least people who want
>     to fork and do research projects based on PostgreSQL will have
>     slightly less work to do when they want to hack it up.  PostgreSQL
>     seems to be a very popular starting point for research work, but a
>     paper I read recently complained about the antiquity of our code base.
>     I prefer to call that backward-compatibility, but at some point people
>     stop thinking of you as backward-compatible and instead think of you
>     as simply backward.
>
> I agree, this was the main reason why we wanted to add support for C++.

Joy, do you have an idea what a *minimally invasive* patch for C++
support would look like? That's certainly the first step here.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461