Seeking experiences 'accessing' Microsoft Active Directory credentials from PostgreSQL, in conjunction with the sys admin / IT... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Greg Cocks
Subject Seeking experiences 'accessing' Microsoft Active Directory credentials from PostgreSQL, in conjunction with the sys admin / IT...
Date
Responses Re: Seeking experiences 'accessing' Microsoft Active Directory credentials from PostgreSQL, in conjunction with the sys admin / IT...  ("Bret S. Lambert" <bret.lambert@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-novice

Hello,

I have been doing some reading and working with the IT staff here to be able to get (read-only) accessibility in PostgreSQL to the Active Directory credentials for a Microsoft network – UID, fname, lname, etc (not the PWID of course!)

I would appreciate any suggestions on the most workable and dynamic approach…

My initial two thoughts were:

  • Have IT write a script to dump the AS credentials as, say, a delimited text file to a (secure) location on a nightly basis (an often enough frequency for my purposes) – and have PostgreSQL dynamically link, with the right credentials, to that network location with their text file/s (including ‘recognising’ when the file/s change)
  • A ‘direct’ read-only connection (without comprising the network security), but of what sort? I have no experience in how AD stores and shares its info, bit am happy to learn what is needed (IT has a lot of knowledge of course, but don’t use PostgreSQL)

Thanks in advance for any help…

Some new things to learn, always a good thing - hence what seems like a possibly vague / broad request…

----------
Regards,

Greg Cocks

Licensed Geologist, WA#415