Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 26, 2009, at 7:17 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

> yah, seriously.   the binary protocol is not considered stable, it
> can change in subtle ways in each version.  libpq handles the
> current version and all previous versions, and exposes all methods.

I don't think the frontend/backend protocol has changed since version
7.4. All data can be in text format; you don't have to deal with binary.

I have implemented an interface in Lisp. I found it much easier and
more flexible than the foreign function interface with C and libpq.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.