Re: PG writes a lot to the disk - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Laurent Raufaste
Subject Re: PG writes a lot to the disk
Date
List pgsql-performance
2008/3/21, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>:

> Well that's true it does. But only once per row. So analyze would have set the
>  bit on every row. You could do the same thing with something ligter like
>  "select count(*) from <table>".

Well, the table has been analyzed, I did SELECT, PG write on the
table. That's a fact.

But it's also true (I juste tested it) that every file of a table is
modified by a SELECT COUNT.

>  Tom's thinking was that you would only expect a high update rate for a short
>  time until all those bits were set.
>
>  Slony's inserts, updates, and deletes count as updates to the table as well.

Slony is shut down when I'm testing.

--
Laurent Raufaste
<http://www.glop.org/>