Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ted Byers
Subject Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Microsoft
> sql server 2005
> cannot be shared on multiple systems i,e in a
> network environment when
> it is installed in one system it cannot be accessed
> one other
> systems.

Nonsense!

Where did you get this stuff?

I have even played with MS SQL Server 2005 Express,
and it is not crippled in the way you describe.  I am
not a big fan of MS, but I have worked in shops where
we used MS SQL Server 2005, and once the DB was set
up, we could access it from anywhere.  Since I often
develop for it, I even have this capability, with MS
SQL Server 2005, set up on the little LAN in my home
office.

> One can access only from a system where it
> is already installed
> but not on the system where there is no sqlserver.Is
> postgresql similar
> to sql server or does it supports network sharing
> i,e one one can
> access postgresql from any system irrespective on
> which system it is
> installed.

You can do this with any RDBMS I have seen. A RDBMS is
of little commercial utility if you can't access it
from other machines in a network.

Mind you, I have worked with systems where the RDBMS
was configured to respond only to apps on localhost,
or a specific IP on the LAN, with access to the DB
mediated through middleware.

You should probably look at a) how your server is
configured and b) how your client is configured
(including whether or not you actually have client
software on your client machine).

Cheers

Ted