Re: Splitting up guc.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Splitting up guc.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One part that I have found a bit strange lately about guc.c is that we
> have mix the core machinery with the SQL-callable parts.  What do you
> think about the addition of a gucfuncs.c in src/backend/utils/adt/ to
> split things a bit more?

I might be wrong, but I think the SQL-callable stuff makes use
of some APIs that are currently private in guc.c.  So we'd have
to expose more API to make that possible.  Maybe that wouldn't
be a bad thing, but it seems to be getting beyond the original
idea here.  (Note I already had to expose find_option() in
order to get the wal_consistency_checking stuff moved out.)
It's not clear to me that "move the SQL-callable stuff" will
end with a nice API boundary.