Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?
Date
Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
> 15 nov. 2019 kl. 21:32 skrev Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>:
>> Ugh.  It doesn't have the old backward compatibility names like
>> US/Pacific installed by default, which is a problem if that's what
>> initdb picked for your cluster (or you've stored references to any of
>> those names in other ways).

> One quick fix is to revert the change. Tom thinks this is not reason to revert. Would it be enough to edit the
postgresql.confto use the correct "modern" name for US/Pacific (PST?)? In rhar case, an update note might be
sufficient?

I think the "official" name of that zone is America/Los_Angeles.
But initdb might seize on the US/Pacific alias, if available,
because it's shorter.  We've seen related problems with other
time zone names, though usually it was just cosmetic and not a
reason for the postmaster to fail to start.

Yes, changing the zone name in postgresql.conf should be a sufficient
fix.  In theory, a FreeBSD user ought to know the "official" alias
for their zone, since the rest of the system would expect that.
So this is slightly tedious if initdb chose a non-official alias,
but I don't think it's reason to panic.

            regards, tom lane