Re: Escaping underscores in LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Escaping underscores in LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
"Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com> writes:
>> You need more backslashes.  Don't forget the string-literal parser eats
>> one level of backslashes, before LIKE ever gets to see the pattern.

> Thanks Tom, as a 2-stage process it all makes sense. Tried it out in PHP too
> and I end up with four backslashes (3 stages).

> Another DOH! item for my notes.

BTW, in 7.1 you can do

    foo LIKE 'a#_b' ESCAPE '#'

(for '#' use whatever you want) to switch to a different escape
character that's not special to upstream processing.  Probably nicer
than dealing with four or more backslashes ...

            regards, tom lane