Re: Rows missing from table despite FK constraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Konrad Garus
Subject Re: Rows missing from table despite FK constraint
Date
List pgsql-general
2010/1/8 Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>:

> You seem to have lost the actual data, not the index entries pointing to it, or a sequential scan (eg. pg_dump) would
stillhave found your rows.

I agree.

> What kind of file-system is the affected table on? - and while we're at it, what OS/Distribution and version? Is your
dataon some kind of RAID array? If so, what type (hardware/software, RAID type)?

It's ext3 on a hardware RAID1. The array is in perfect condition,
according to its diag tool. The OS is Ubuntu 8.04. The exact PG
version is 8.3.8.

> I get the impression the data you lost and the data around it hasn't been written to in a long time; it wouldn't
surpriseme if your problem would have been caused by a bad sector on a disk, but that depends on how reliable your
storageis set up to be.

You are correct about the first point. It's a write-only table with
thousands of inserts daily, and the lost rows were written 7 months
ago.

--
Konrad Garus